You have installed the new Windows 10 Virtual machine on your Virtualbox. But you are facing issues and difficulty while working on windows 10 guest version as many others do. It happens because when the first time you install the Windows 10 on Virtualbox. Many advanced features are not enabled on the guest OS like, screen resolution adjustments and resizing etc. But how to install the Virtualbox guest addition.
In this article, we are going to guide you on how can you install the Virtualbox guest addition for guest OS. Moreover , we will see what enhancements the guest addition adds to the guest OS. Therefore, first of all, let’s see
What are the Virtualbox Guest Additions?
The Virtualbox guest additions are the features that improve the performance of virtual machine, and enable many more options like,
- It allows users to enter full-screen mode.
- With the help of this, we can Resize the windows apps.
- It enables the drag and drop functionality between the host and guest OSes.
- Enhance the performance of guest OS.
- It allows users to share the clipboard between the host and guest OSes. And many more.
- It allows the mouse and pointer integration.
How to install the Virtualbox guest addition?
As you have already installed the guest OS on your Virtualbox software. So in here, we are considering the Windows 10 as a guest OS. So, keeping in mind the windows 10 go to the
- Virtual machine menu and click on Devices.
- Then click on the Insert guest addition CD image.
- Now, Go to My Computer and click on This PC in the Navigation panel.
- Here you will see a folder by the name of CD drive Virtualbox Guest additions. Double click on it to Open.
- Now, in this folder click on VBox Windows additions. And double click on it. Or alternatively, Right-click on the option and click on Run as Administrator.
- Now, the Setup wizard of the Virtualbox guest addition will appear. Click on the Next button.
- Now in the next image keep the default settings. Just click on Install button to start the installation process.
- Once the installation starts. Follow some instructions and the installation completes successfully. And it is recommended to click on Reboot Now to avoid any issue.
And done! the Virtualbox guest additions. And you can use the extra features now. Many times when users try to install the Virtualbox guest addition they see the following message appearing on their screen. And this does not let them install the guest addition.
The question arises on how to tackle this problem?
- The first solution that we found is that you may have checked the two boxes fo 3D and 2D Acceleration. So, to solve the issue, first of all, go to the Virtual machine’s Display Settings >Video. And then uncheck the two boxes.
- If the first method does not solve the issue. Try the second way. In the guest, OS Go to My Computer > This PC > VBox Windows addition. Then right-click on it and tap on Properties. And finally, select the version of the Windows you want its compatibility match.
- How to install Virtualbox on Windows 10?
- How to install VMware Workstation on Windows 10?
- Install VMware Tools on Windows 10 on Virtualbox.
- How to install macOS Catalina Final on Virtualbox on Windows PC?
- How to install macOS Mojave 10.14 on VMware on Windows 10?
- Install macOS Catalina 10.15 final on VMware on Windows 10.
So, it was all about the installation of Virtualbox guest additions. Moreover, we highlighted the problem, that most of the users face. And therefore, we also introduced two methods the resolve the issue. We hope that this article has helped you to install the guest addition. Moreover, if you have further problems you may ask us in Comment. to conclude, we would like to say that do not forget to read our Editor’s Recommendations for more knowledge and information regarding Technology and Virtualbox.