Though there are many other Operating systems, have come in the market. Still, we have a large number of audience using Ubuntu. Because Every software has its place. So, How to download and install Virtualbox on Ubuntu?
Well in this article ahead we are going to see, what is Virtualbox? How can we install Virtualbox on Ubuntu? How many ways are there to do it?
Table of Contents
What is Virtualbox?
The Oracle Virtualbox is a free open source software by Oracle Corporation. The Virtualbox is used to run multiple guest OSes on a single computer on an only host OS.
With the help of Virtualbox, you can create different Virtual machines. And those Virtual machines work like real operating systems.
How many ways are there to install Virtualbox on Ubuntu?
There are three ways to install Virtualbox on Ubuntu.
- You can do it through the Ubuntu Software Manager.
- You can also install Virtualbox through Command-Line.
- Or using Dab file.
Ahead we are going to use all the methods to perform the procedure. However, it depends on you, which way you use. First of all, let’s see what the prerequisites for the download and installation of the software are.
What do you need before installation?
- You should have enabled Universe and Multiverse repositories. These repositories are required to install some dependencies while installing Virtualbox.
- A user account with Sudo Privileges.
- Update the current packages of the system to the Latest Version.
- Finally, Restart Ubuntu.
Install VirtualBox using software Manager:
So, first of all, let’s see how can we install it through the software manager. Then we will go towards the rest methods too.
Open Software Manager:
- First of all, open the Ubuntu. And click on Activities Bar.
- Then the Ubuntu software icon will appear. Click on to open.
Search For Virtualbox:
- Now, find the search icon in there and Type Virtualbox. And all the Content related to the search will appear.
- Select the Virtualbox from the search items.
- Now, before the installation, the software will ask for the authentication. So, to proceed ahead type the correct password of the device and click on Authenticate.
Launch the software:
- And then you will see the installation process will begin. And after some time the installation will complete.
- Finally, the following message will appear. From here you can directly delete it or open it. Moreover, you can open it any time from the Ubuntu Desh or Application list.
Install Virtualbox using Dab file:
The second method is the Deb file. This is also a simple way to install it on Ubuntu. With the help of Debian file, you can install any version of VirtualBox. So,
- First of all, go to the browser of your device and visit the website of Virtualbox.org.
- And click on your desired version of Virtualbox to download.
- Once you click on download link. A.Deb file will start to download on your device.
- Once the file is downloaded, go to the downloaded folder.
Install the Virtualbox:
- Use the file manager on your Ubuntu device to install the downloaded folder.
- And in the File Manager, click on Install to start the installation.
- And finally, after some time the file will be downloaded on your Ubuntu device that you can access from Desh or Application list.
using the Command Line:
If you want to install the Virtualbox through the terminal, so, this method is for you. As stated prior too. You should have Multiverse Repository enabled on your device. As a default it is disabled. to enable it
Open Ubuntu terminal:
- Open the terminal from the system Dash or use the short cut Ctrl+Alt+D.
- Enter the following Command as root to enable the Repository. Moreover, also update your system’s repository index with that on the internet.
($ sudo add-apt-repository multiverse && sudo apt-get update)
- Provide the password of the system for the root to enable the Repository on your device.
- Now Enter the following Command to start the installation of the Virtualbox.
$ sudo apt install virtualbox
- Now, the system will prompt you to Y/N option. To install the Virtualbox inter Y and click on Enter to start it.
- You can directly launch the software by Entering the following Command.
- Or Enter the following Command to Exit the Terminal.
- How to Download and install Virtualbox on Windows 10?
- How to Download and install Virtualbox on MacOS?
- Download and install Virtualbox on Kali Linux(Complete Guide).
- How to Download and install VMware Workstation On Windows 10?
- How to install macOS Catalina Final on Windows using Virtualbox?
In this article, we guided you through all three possible ways to install Virtualbox on Ubuntu device. Moreover, as well tasted through the different versions of Ubuntu, including Ubuntu 19.10, Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 19.04 and other versions like Ubuntu 14.04.
We concluded that there is no more difference between the installation process. To conclude we would like to say that do not forget to read our Editor’s Recommendations and Do follow us for more info and knowledge.