The 2020 update of Apple was about the new macOS 11 Big Sur. Along with the desktop operating system, Apple also introduced its new smartphone OS IOS 14. Keeping the discussion of IOS 14 for some other time. Today we are going to guide you on how you can install macOS 11 Big Sur on VMware on Windows PC.
If you have used macOS on Windows PC. You should have heard of Virtual machine software. These are the software that are used to install multiple OS on one hardware.
And today we have especially published this article, for our readers, who want to install macOS 11 Big Sur. But do not have a Mac machine. Therefore, in order to install macOS on Windows 10 PC, the option is virtual machine software, such as Virtualbox and VMware workstation.
We have already covered the section on the installation of macOS Big Sur on Virtualbox. And this guide we are going to discuss the installation of macOS Big Sur on VMware workstation.
So, without further wasting time, lets get straight into it!
Table of Contents
How to install macOS 11 Big Sur on VMware on Windows PC:
Download macOS Big Sur ISO file:
The very first thing that you need is the ISO file of macOS 11 Big Sur. Because VMware requires the ISO file of macOS 11 to install it as a guest OS. Therefore, first of all, you need to download the ISO file of macOS Big Sur.
We have already developed an ISO file of macOS Big Sur, that you can download for free from the link provided below. Once you download the ISO file of macOS Big Sur. Then you can go towards the second step.
Download and install VMware workstation:
As the download of the macOS 11 ISO file has been completed. Now, it is time to download and install a VMware workstation on your Windows PC. The host OS that you are using should be among the Operating systems, that are supported by the VMware workstation.
Anyhow, in this article we are using Windows 10 as our host OS. So, if you are also using Windows as the host OS. So, you can visit the following guide for the complete comprehensive guide on how to download and install a VMware Workstation on Windows 10.
However, if you are using another operating system rather than Windows 10. Then you should follow the steps from a guide for that particular OS.
Download and install macOS unlocker:
This is the third step towards the installation of the macOS 11 Big Sur on the VMware workstation. However, you may know that officially, it is not allowed by Apple to install macOS on any other Platform rather than Mac computers.
But today in the world of technology nothing is impossible. But there is a bit problematic. That when you are going to create a virtual machine in VMware. The option for macOS is missing. However, this does not mean that macOS cannot be installed on VMware. But we need another third software to add the option of macOS in VMware.
And for this purpose, we use another tool by VMware.com, named macOS unlocker. This tool helps you to add the additional option of macOS to the list of other OS at the time of creating a virtual machine.
And how to do that? Well, we suggest you follow the instructions from the article below to install macOS unlocker on for VMware workstation.
Create a new virtual machine:
As of now everything you required for the installation you have downloaded. And the option for the macOS also appearing among the list of other OS too. Therefore, now, what you need to do is, to create a new virtual machine for macOS Big Sur.
- Start the VMware workstation. And hit the create a new Virtual machine option. Then again check the box for typical and hit Next.
- Now, in the new window, select to install OS later, and hit next. Afterward, select Apple macOS X from the list of guest OS. And below, select the version of macOS. As we are hare installing macOS 11. So, select macOS 11. Moreover, here you might see the option of macOS 10.16 instead of macOS 11. However, that does not make any trouble.
- Then, give a name to the guest OS. As we are installing macOS Big Sur. So, give the name of macOS Big Sur. Afterward, change the default path for the files. Or you may keep it as it is. Then simply hit next.
- In this window, you need to allocate the amount of storage to the virtual machine hard disk. Here we recommend you select a minimum of 50GB storage. Secondly, select the hard disk to store as a single file. Then click next to proceed.
- Finally, the creation of a virtual machine has been completed. However, you can further customize the specifications of the virtual machine by selecting the option of customization.
Customize further settings:
After coming to the customization page. Now, you can run customize RAM and other speicifications further.
- First, select RAM from the left panel menu. And you can alter the size of RAM for the virtual machine. We recommend you to keep 8GB of RAM for macOS Big Sur.
- After allocating the amount of RAM. Now go to the second option of processors. Here we recommend you select 4Cores fo CPU. However, the minimum size is 2Cores.
- Next, in the CD/DVD option, check the box of the ISO image file. Because we are going to use ISO file for installation. Then, hit the browse button, and select the macOS Big Sur ISO file from the folder in your computer, that you had installed earlier.
After choosing the ISO file, you can close and finish this step. Now, the creation of virtual machines has been concluded. What we need to do is implement the final step of the installation of macOS Big Sur on VMware workstation. But before, installation, it is important to add a code in the VMX file of macOS Big Sur.
Add code in macOS Big Sur VMX file:
- Go to the default folder of macOS Big Sur, which has been mentioned earlier during naming the guest OS. As you have not changed the default folder. So, navigate to Document > Virtual machine > macOS Big Sur.VMX. Right-click on the macOS Big Sur.VMX and run in notepad.
- Now, copy and paste the following code at the bottom of the codes. And then click Enter to save the code.
smbios.reflectHost = "TRUE"
hw.model = "MacBookPro14,3"
board-id = "Mac-551B86E5744E2388"
smc.version = "0"
As you can see in the screenshot below, How the code has been added. And after the addition of the code, simply hit Enter to save the code.
Now, you are fully ready to go towards the installation of macOS Big Sur. So, now in the final step, the installation process is also the same as you install macOS on any Apple computer.
Install macOS 11 Big Sur on VMware:
Close and restart the VMware workstation. Then hit the option of power on this virtual machine.
- Wait for a while, until the apple logo appears, then select your language.
- Next, select the Disk Utility Option. And proceed.
- Now, select Erase from the top menu bar. And Erase Vmware virtual SATA hard drive media. And hit Done.
- Now, from the left corner click on disk utility. And select Quit Disk utility.
- Now, again from the options, select install macOS, and hit continue.
Further, just follow the onscreen instructions. That includes accepting terms and conditions, selecting country, OS language, signing in with the Apple ID, and so on.
Next Up in macOS:
- Download the macOS 11 Big Sur DMG file.
- Create a macOS High Sierra bootable USB Installer on Windows PC.
- Download the macOS High Sierra ISO file.
- Install macOS Catalina on VMware workstation.
- Install macOS Mojave on VMware workstation.
In this article, we extensively explained how to install macOS 11 Big Sur on a VMware workstation. If you have installed VMware and macOS unlocker already on your computer. So, you can start directly creating the virtual machine. However, those who are doing this for the first time. Then they will certainly require to follow the (A to Z) procedure.
Consequently, we would like to say that DO FOLLOW US for more knowledgeable up to date content. And in case of an issue, you can reach out to us through the comment section.