In the year 2020 in the mid of COVID 19 outburst, Apple announced it’s one of the biggest updates in the WWDC (Worldwide Developer Conference). In this conference, Apple declared the release of the new ISO 14 along with the big news for the Mac User. Apple Inc announced it’s new macOS 11 also called “Big Sur”. And In this article, we are going through the entire process to create macOS 11 Big Sur bootable USB on Mac PC.
However, the public beta has not been released ( Up to the time of writing this article). But the authority is striving to get it ready and announce the full release as soon as possible. However, in this article, we are going to guide you thoroughly on how you can create a bootable USB of macOS 11 developer beta, and install it on Mac devices.
But before the installation lets see what are the prerequisites for the new macOS 11.
- The very first thing you need is a USB flash drive/ with the minimum storage of 16GB. Remember the flash drive should be clear, because, during the installation process, the computer, or OS software may format the USB. And you may lose your important data if were stored in the USB drive.
- Secondly, the Mac device you are going to install the Operating system on. That machine must support the new macOS Big Sur. the list of the Macs that support new OS 11 is as follows
- MacBook from the year 2015 or later.
- Mac Book Air from 2013 onwards.
- MacBook Pro late 2013 and later.
- Mac Mini from 2014 onwards.
- iMac 2014 or later.
- iMac Pro 2017.
- Mac Pro 2013 and 2019.
How to create macOS 11 Big Sur bootable USB:
As we stated earlier that still the full version of macOS 11 has not been published. However, you can use the developer beta version of the Public beta version for this process. And when the full version is released by the company. You can follow the same steps to create a bootable installer for macOS Big Sur.
- So, now click on the below link to start the downloading of the beta version. And then you will see a “.Dmg file” will start to download on your computer.
- Now, connect the USB drive with the computer and open the “disk Utility“. and change the format to macOS extended. and then click erase.
- Now, the easiest way to create bootable USB is the Terminal. So, Open the terminal from Utility folder and copy and paste the following command. sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume /Volumes/USB
- then enter your login password and hit Enter.
- Then select the y to Yes the creating to bootable USB.
- Now, wait for some time. As the process is going to be so long.
Once the process completes. Go to Finder and eject the USB drive. Now, you are fully ready to install new macOS 11 on any supported Mac.
How to install it macOS 11 Big Sur:
- connect the USB drive to the mac you want to install macOS 11 on.
- Now, Restart or start your Mac.
- Simultaneously hold on the Option key.
- Now, the macOS 11 appears in the drop-down menu. Select it.
- Then from the Utility window, select the Disk Utility.
- Here, select and erase the drive, where you want to install the macOS 11 Big Sur.
- Then select install and enter.
- Now, again verify your self by entering the loving password.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions until the installation concludes successfully.
- Then, your computer will automatically reboot.
Now, the new macOS 11 Big Sur is ready on your Mac. you can follow this process for any version of OS. Where that is developer beta, public beta or full public release.
Next up in macOS:
- How to install macOS Bit Sur beta ISO file on PC?
- How to downgrade from macOS Mojave to Catalina?
- Top 10 macOS terminal commands, that every Mac user must know.
- How to use Side Car feature in macOS Catalina?
- How to show hidden files on macOS PC?
So, this the entire process you require to follow during the creation of a macOS 11 bootable USB installer. Moreover, you can also do it on a Windows PC. But for that, you will have to follow some different steps. As being the official computer, it is quite straight forward. However, on Windows, this is going to be complicated.
Also, read our NEXT UP articles. And if installed, tell us in the comment section which features of the new macOS 11 you like the most and Why.